Hazrat Ali Quotes & Sayings are really powerful and provides a lot of wisdom and insight to heart & mind. It rejuvenates our hearts to faith, it opens our mind to the light of guidance and the sayings of Imam Ali R.A motivates and inspires us to take positive action in our life.
Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) likened himself to the city of knowledge and said that its gate is Hazrat Ali R.A
Therefore, we have collected one of the biggest collection of Imam Ali Quotes & Sayings in English. In this ultimate collection of Hazrat Ali Quotes, we have shared Imam Ali Quotes on Death, Life, Faith, Knowledge & more.
Read this collection of beautiful sayings of Hazrat Ali R.A and share the ones you liked the most in the comments section below.
Hazrat Ali Quotes & Sayings – Ultimate Collection of Imam Ali Quotes in 2019
1. Submission to Allah’s Will is the best companion; wisdom is the noblest heritage; theoretical and practical knowledge are the best signs of distinction; deep thinking will present the clearest picture of every problem.- Hazrat Ali Quotes
2. The mind of a wise man is the safest custody of secrets; cheerfulness is the key to friendship; patience and forbearance will conceal many defects. – Hazrat Ali Sayings
3. A conceited and self-admiring person is disliked by others; charity and alms are the best remedies for ailments and calamities; one has to account in the next world for the deeds that he has done in this world. – Hazrat Ali Quotes
4. Man is a wonderful creature; he sees through the layers of fat (eyes), hears through a bone (ears) and speaks through a lump of flesh (tongue). – Hazrat Ali Sayings
5. When this world favors somebody, it lends him the attributes and surpassing merits of others and when it turns its face away from him it snatches away even his own excellences and fame. – Hazrat Ali Sayings
6. Live amongst people in such a manner that if you die they weep over you and if you are alive they crave for your company. – Imam Ali Quotes
7. If you overpower your enemy, then pardon him by way of thankfulness to Allah, for being able to subdue him. – Imam Ali Quotes
8. When some blessings come to you, do not drive them away through thanklessness. – Imam Ali Sayings
9. Unfortunate is he who cannot gain a few sincere friends during his life and more unfortunate is the one who has gained them and then lost them (through his deeds). – Imam Ali Sayings
10. One who rushes madly after inordinate desire runs the risk of encountering destruction and death. – Imam Ali Quotes & Sayings
11. Failures are often the results of timidity and fears; disappointments are the results of bashfulness; hours of leisure pass away like summer-clouds, therefore, do not waste the opportunity of doing good. – Sayings of Ali ibn Abi Talib R.A
12. If the right usurped from us is given back to us we shall take it, otherwise, we shall go on claiming it. – Sayings of Ali ibn Abi Talib R.A
13. To render relief to the distressed and to help the oppressed make amends for great sins. – Sayings of Ali ibn Abi Talib R.A
14. O son of Adam, when you see that your Lord, the Glorified, bestows His Favors on you while you disobey Him, you should fear Him – Sayings of Ali ibn Abi Talib R.A
15. Often your utterances and expressions of your face leak out the secrets of your hidden thoughts. – Sayings of Ali ibn Abi Talib R.A
16. The best form of devotion to the service of Allah is not to make a show of it. – Sayings of Ali ibn Abi Talib R.A
17. When you have to depart from this world and have to meet death (eventually), then why wish delay (why feel nervous about death). – Sayings of Ali ibn Abi Talib R.A
18. Take warning! He has not exposed so many of your sinful activities that it appears as if He has forgiven you – Sayings of Ali ibn Abi Talib R.A
19. A virtuous person is better than virtue and a vicious person is worse than vice. – Quotes & Sayings of Ali ibn Abi Talib R.A
20. Be generous but not extravagant, be frugal but not miserly. – Quotes & Sayings of Ali ibn Abi Talib R.A
21. The best kind of wealth is to give up inordinate desires. – Quotes by Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib
22. One who says unpleasant things about others, will himself quickly become a target of their scandal. – Quotes by Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib
23. Recommended prayers cannot attain the pleasures of Allah for you when obligatory prayers are left unattended. – Quotes by Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib
24. A wise man first thinks and then speaks and a fool speaks first and then thinks. – Quotes by Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib
25. A fool’s mind is at the mercy of his tongue and a wise man’s tongue is under the control of his mind. – Quotes by Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib
Hazrat Ali Quotes on Death, Sin & Love
26. The sin which makes you sad and repentant is more liked by Allah than the good deed which turns you arrogant. – Quotes by Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib
27. Value of a man depends upon his courage; his veracity depends upon his self-respect and his chastity depends upon his sense of honor. – Quotes by Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib
28. Success is the result of foresight and resolution, foresight depends upon deep thinking and planning and the most important factor of planning is to keep your secrets to yourself. – Sayings & Quotes by Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib
29. Be afraid of a gentleman when he is hungry, and of a mean person when his stomach is full. – Sayings & Quotes by Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib
30. Hearts of people are like wild beasts. They attach themselves to those who love and train them. – Sayings of Imam Ali R.A
31. Only he who has the power to punish can pardon. – Best Imam Ali Quotes
32. Generosity is to help a deserving person without his request, and if you help him after his request, then it is either out of self-respect or to avoid rebuke. – Best Imam Ali Quotes
33. There is no greater wealth than wisdom, no greater poverty than ignorance; no greater heritage than culture and no greater support than consultation. – Best Imam Ali Quotes
34. Patience is of two kinds: patience over what pains you, and patience against what you covet. – Best Imam Ali Quotes
35. Wealth converts a strange land into homeland and poverty turns a native place into a strange land. – Best Imam Ali Quotes
36. Contentment is the capital which will never diminish. – Hazrat Ali Quotes in English
37. The tongue is a beast, if it is let loose, it devours. – Hazrat Ali Quotes in English
38. If you are greeted then return the greetings more warmly. If you are favored, then repay the obligation manifold; but he who takes the initiative will always excel in merit. – Hazrat Ali Quotes in English
39. People in this world are like travelers whose journey is going on though they are asleep. (Life’s journey is going on though men may not feel it). – Hazrat Ali Quotes in English
40. Not to have a thing is less humiliating than to beg it. – Hazrat Ali Quotes in English
41. Do not feel ashamed if the amount of charity is small because to refuse the needy is an act of greater shame. – Hazrat Ali Quotes in English
42. To refrain from the unlawful and impious source of pleasures is an ornament to the poor and to be thankful for the riches granted is the adornment of wealth. – Hazrat Ali Quotes in English
43. An ignorant person will always overdo a thing or neglect it totally. – Hazrat Ali Quotes in English
44. The wiser a man is, the less talkative will he be. – Hazrat Ali Quotes in English
45. Whoever wants to be a leader should educate himself before educating others. Before preaching to others he should first practice himself. Whoever educates himself and improves his own morals is superior to the man who tries to teach and train others. – Hazrat Ali Quotes in English
46. Every breath you take is a step towards death. – Sayings of Hazrat Ali
47. Knowledge and wisdom are really the privileges of a faithful Muslim. If you have lost them, get them back even though you may have to get them from the apostates. – Sayings of Hazrat Ali
48. I want to teach you five of those things which deserve your greatest anxiety to acquire them:
- To Have hope only in Allah.
- Be afraid of nothing but sins.
- If you do not know a thing never feel ashamed to admit ignorance.
- If you do not know a thing never hesitate or feel ashamed to learn it.
- Acquire patience and endurance because their relation with true faith is that of a head to a body, a body is of no use without a head, similarly, true faith can be of no use without attributes of resignation, endurance, and patience.
49. One who imagines himself to be all knowing will surely suffer on account of his ignorance. – Sayings of Hazrat Ali
50. I appreciate an old man’s cautious opinion more than the valor of a young man. – Sayings of Hazrat Ali
Imam Ali Quotes & Sayings on Salvation & Repentance
51. I wonder at a man who loses hope of salvation when the door of repentance is open for him. – Quotes of Hazrat Ali
52. Whoever keeps in order his affairs with Allah (follows His orders sincerely), Allah will also put his affairs with men in order. Whoever makes arrangement for his salvation, Allah will arrange his worldly affairs; whoever is a preacher for himself, Allah will also protect him. – Quotes of Hazrat Ali
53. He is the wisest and the most knowing man who advises people not to lose hope and faith in the Mercy of Allah and not to be too sure and over-confident of immunity from His Wrath and Punishment. – Quotes of Hazrat Ali
54. Like your body your mind also gets tired so refresh it by wise sayings. – Quotes of Hazrat Ali
55. That knowledge which remains only on your tongue is very superficial. The intrinsic value of knowledge is that you act upon it. – Quotes of Hazrat Ali
56. Beseech Him to guard you against such temptation as may lead you towards wickedness and sins because Allah says in His Holy Book, Know that your wealth and children are temptations. – Quotes of Hazrat Ali
57. Allah tried people through wealth and children so that it may be tested as to who is content with what he gets honestly and who is thankful to Allah for the position he is placed in with regard to his children. Though Allah knows them better than even they know themselves, yet those trials and tests are for the purpose of their realizing and knowing those deeds which merit reward or which deserve punishment. There are some people who love to have male children and hate daughters and there are some who simply crave for wealth and hate poverty. – Quotes of Hazrat Ali
58. Your welfare does not lie in your having enormous wealth and numerous children but it rests in your being highly educated and forbearing and in your being proud of your obedience to Allah. – Quotes of Hazrat Ali
59. Importance of the deeds that you have done with fear of Allah cannot be minimized and how can the deeds which are acceptable to Allah be considered unimportant. – Quotes of Hazrat Ali
60. To secure for you fame, credit as well as blessings, the help that you give to men in need, should possess the following attributes: whatever its extent, it should be considered by you as trifling so that it may be granted a high status; it should be given secretly, Allah will manifest it; and it must be given immediately so that it becomes pleasant. – Quotes of Hazrat Ali
61. There are many educated people who have ruined their future on account of their ignorance of religion. Their knowledge did not prove of any avail to them. – Sayings & Quotes of Imam Ali R.A
62. Those who give up religion to better their lot in life seldom succeed. The Wrath of Allah makes them go through more calamities and losses than the gains they gather for themselves. – Sayings & Quotes of Imam Ali R.A
63. When a community is composed of honest, sober and virtuous people, your forming a bad opinion about any one of its members, when nothing wicked has been seen of him, is a great injustice to him. On the contrary in a corrupt society to form a good opinion of any one of them and to trust him is to harm yourself. – Sayings & Quotes of Imam Ali R.A
64. To lose or to waste an opportunity will result in grief and sorrow. – Sayings & Quotes of Imam Ali R.A
65. Whoever is not diligent in his work, will suffer; whoever has no share of Allah in his wealth and in his life then there is no place for him in His Realm. – Sayings & Quotes of Imam Ali R.A
66. If you understand Allah’s Majesty, then you will not attach any importance to the creatures.
67. If you want to pray to Allah for better means of subsistence, then first give something in charity
68. When someone is sure of the returns, then he shows generosity.
69. He who practices moderation and frugality will never be threatened with poverty.
70. Loving one another is half of wisdom.
Imam Ali R.A Quotes & Sayings in English
71. Grief is half of old age.
72. Defend your faith (in Allah) with the help of a charity. Protect your wealth with the aid of Zakat. Let the prayers guard you against calamities and disasters.
73. One who does not realize his own value is condemned to utter failure. (Every kind of complex, superiority or inferiority is harmful to man).
74. One, who adopts patience, will never be deprived of success though it may take a long time to reach him.
75. One who assents or subscribes to the actions of a group or a party is as good as having committed the deed himself.
76. Accept promises of only those persons who can steadfastly adhere to their pledges.
77. You have been shown if you only care to see; you have been advised if you care to take advantage of advice; you have been told if you care to listen to good counsels.
78. Admonish your brother (comrade) by good deeds and kind regards, and ward off his evil by favoring him.
79. One, who acquires power cannot avoid favoritism.
80. One, who is willful and conceited will suffer losses and calamities and one who seeks advice can secure advantages of many counsels.
81. One, who guards his secrets has complete control over his affairs.
82. Poverty is the worst form of death.
83. One should not obey anyone against the commands of Allah.
84 Do not blame a man who delays in securing what are his just rights but the blame lies on him who grasps the rights which do not belong to him.
85. There is enough light for one who wants to see.
86. It is wiser to abstain then to repent.
87. Often inordinate desire to secure a single gain acts as a hindrance for the quest of many profitable pursuits.
88. One, who seeks advice learns to realize his mistakes.
89. The best way to punish an evil-doer is to reward handsomely a good person for his good deeds.
90. If you want to remove evil from the minds of others then first give up evil intentions yourself.
91. Greed is permanent slavery.
92. To keep silent when you can say something wise and useful is as bad as keeping on propagating foolish and unwise thoughts.
93. O son of Adam, if you have collected anything in excess of your actual need, you will act only as its trustee for someone else to use it.
94. Hearts have the tendency of likes and dislikes and are liable to be energetic and lethargic, therefore, make them work when they are energetic because if hearts are forced (to do a thing) they will be blinded.
95. Minds get tired like bodies. When you feel that your; mind is tired, then invigorate it with sober advice.
96. If you find that somebody is not grateful for all that you have done for him, then do not get disappointed because often you will find that someone else feels under your obligation though you have done nothing for him and thus your good deeds will be compensated, and Allah will reward you for your goodness.
Hazrat Imam Ali Quotes on Wisdom, Greed & Excellence
97. Avarice dulls the faculties of judgment and wisdom.
98. A greedy man will always find himself in the shackles of humility.
99. There are people who worship Allah to gain His Favors, this is the worship of traders; while there are some who worship Him to keep themselves free from His Wrath, this is the worship of slaves; a few who obey Him out’ of their sense of gratitude and obligations, this is the worship of free and noble men.
100. Sum total of Knowledge is Excellence
109. In this world there is a real welfare for two kinds of people, one is the person who, when commits a sin, atones for it and the other is anxious to do good as much as possible. – Quotes of Hazrat Ali
In this collection, we have shared all the beautiful and insight-filled quotes of Hazrat Ali R.A. Imam Ali was really the beacon of light and knowledge and is today as well, his words and sayings help us to live our lives according to the guidance of Islam and face the onslaught of the modern world.
Share your favorite Hazrat Ali Quotes in the comments section below.
If you have found any error, unauthenticity, etc in our collection, do let us know in the comments section. We will do our best to rectify.