This list of Muhammad Ali quotes is to celebrate his life and to share my appreciation of him through collecting his quotes through which Muslims can learn a lesson or at least be inspired.
Muhammad Ali, the boxing legend, died on 3rd June 2016. Muhammad Ali has inspired a lot of people through his boxing, his work, his humor and above all, his life. Muhammad Ali was particularly famous and loved by Muslims because of his faith and stand which he took for that faith.
Here I have selected 17 Muhammad Ali Quotes which are of particular value for Muslims. I will be happy to read your thoughts about this collection and your favorite Muhammad Ali Quotes in the comment section of this article.
17 Muhammad Ali Quotes Every Muslim Should Know – A List By A Muslim
1. “I know where I’m going and I know the truth, and I don’t have to be what you want me to be. I’m free to be what I want.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
This is the trait which every Muslim should develop regarding the trends of the times. We don’t have to give up our identity and way of life in order to become “modern” or “western”. We should not be giving in to the demands of society, media and peer pressure. We should be doing what we know to be the truth.
2. “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
In life, everyone has to do something which they don’t like in order to be successful. As a Muslim, we know that this life is temporary and through this quote of Muhammad Ali, we can learn to patiently endure whatever it is that we hate but is good for ourselves. Muhammad Ali hated training but he endures it in order to live like a champion. You may hate your life, but if you live it according to the will of Allah you will be the champion in real life, in sha Allah.
3. “He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
Courage is the trait which every Muslim should possess. Being able to do the right things when times are tough requires a lot of courage and we Muslims needs lots of that. Being able to pursue your dreams also requires a lot of courage and everyone needs lots of that.
4. “The word ‘Islam’ means ‘peace.’ The word ‘Muslim’ means ‘one who surrenders to God.’ But the press makes us seem like haters.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
This shows that Muhammad Ali knows the core message of Islam and its reality. He can answer the negative propaganda spread by the media. Knowing what you stand for and knowing your identity is really required by every Muslim today. There are so many of us who feel ashamed of everything that is being done in the name of our beautiful religion. Instead of feeling ashamed, we should know that Islam really is and preach it through our action, deeds and words.
5. “Allah’s the Arabic term for God. Stand up for God, fight for God, work for God and do the right thing, and go the right way, things will end up in your corner.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
Muhammad Ali knew who his master was, who his real employer was. This quote shows his belief that if you work for God, Stand up for God, and do the right thing things will end up in your corner.
6. “It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
This quote is one of my favorites. It invites us to look within ourselves and find that shortcoming, that pebble, which is disturbing us and stopping us from doing the right thing. We all have to climb the mountain of our lives but if our shoes (ourselves) contains pebbles, it will be very hard for us to successfully live our lives. We need to assess ourselves and improve ourselves instead of blaming the outer circumstances.
7. “It’s the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
Often Muslims complain that they don’t have enough belief or conviction which can inspire and motivate them to do great work. Muhammad Ali teaches us here a great lesson. We need to constantly repeat our beliefs to ourselves (think Dhikr) in order to turn them into conviction. Remembrance of Allah should be the central part of our lives if we want to do something great. e
8. “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
Allah SWT has blessed us with all of this beautiful blessings. Earth, Nature, Oxygen, Eyes, Hands and what not! We need to use these blessings in order to serve others according to the will of Allah. It is a responsibility of everyone to serve others in his/her capacity.
9. “God tries you in certain, certain ways. Some people are rich, and they believe in God. They lose the money, things get hard, they get weak and quit going to church. Quit serving God like they did.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
In this quote, Muhammad Ali is saying that we should not be looking others and hating ourselves. Everything in life is a test and everyone’s test is different. Therefore, recognize your test and try to be successful in it instead of looking at other people question papers.
10. “A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
This quote highlights the idea of constant growth and improvements. As a Muslim, we should be striving for better and better. We should be always learning, always educating ourselves about the things which are important. Looking at life the same way for 30 years means that you are not growing and you are stagnant. Prophet Muhammad PBUH also highlights the importance of daily improvement and growth.
11. “I am an ordinary man who worked hard to develop the talent I was given. I believed in myself, and I believe in the goodness of others.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
There are many quotes in which Muhammad Ali claims to be the greatest and the fastest. But in reality, he knows that he is an ordinary man and have to work hard to develop himself. There is another quote in which Muhammad Ali says that I am quite good at home but I don’t want the world to know it because humble people don’t get far. This quote teaches us to know ourselves and our roots and to work hard to develop whatever is needed to be truly successful in this world and hereafter.
12. “To be able to give away riches is mandatory if you wish to possess them. This is the only way that you will be truly rich.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
This is the law of non-attachment. If your heart is attached by worldly riches and fame, they will run away from you. If you wish to be rich, you need to cultivate the mindset of truly rich people. Truly rich people treat money as the necessity and freely do charity and other services. Whatever you want to have, happiness, money, peace, give it away first.
13. “My principles are more important than the money or my title.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
Often, we lose what is more important for the sake of what is less important. We Muslims need to know that our principles and values which are given to us by Islam are THE important things in our life and we should be trading them for the sake of fame (title) or wealth.
14. “The only thing that matters is submitting to the will of God.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
This one is short and direct. If you are submitting to the will of God, it is all that really matters. If you submitting to the will of God then it does not matter whether you are rich or poor, whether your drive a Mercedes or a Toyota! Because all that really matters is with you already, submitting to the will of Allah.
15. “Its lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
What if knew that the most influential person in your country or locality is with you? Will you feel afraid of challenges? As Muslims, we all know that Allah is there to help us and to protect us through His Rehmat but it’s the lack of faith in this reality which stops us to be brave and to face the challenges of life. Have faith in Allah and you’ll be courageous, brave and successful, In sha Allah.
16. “I didn’t want to submit to the army and then, on the Day of Judgment, have God say to me, ‘Why did you do that?’ This life is a trial, and you realize that what you do is going to be written down for Judgment Day.” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
When Muhammad Ali was ordered to join the Army and go fight in Vietnam, he refused. Because he knew the reality of that war and he knew that it goes against Islam and will of Allah. He now had two options, submitting to the will of Army or submitting to the will of Allah. He chose the second options and stood by it. Even though he had to face the trials. He gave away 3 years of his career and lots of money for his decision because he knew that whatever we are doing is being written for the Judgement Day
17. “God gave me Parkinson’s syndrome to show me I’m not ‘The Greatest’ – he is. God gave me this illness to remind me that I’m not Number One; He is” – Muhammad Ali Quotes
As stated earlier, Muhammad Ali used to claim that he is the greatest in front of media a lot. But in reality, he knew who is the greatest. When he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s syndrome, he openly claimed that reality in front of the world again that he is not the greatest. Note that his pride, his fame, and his success did not stop him from speaking what his faith and heart knew as right. He spoke openly that he is not the greatest, but Allah is. He is not number one, but Allah is.
Muhammad Ali lived a life of passion, contribution, and search of Truth. We pray to Allah to shower His blessings on Muhammad Ali and May he be successful in the hereafter as well.
Share which Muhammad Ali Quote inspired you and also share your thoughts on his overall life in the comment section below.